Friday, October 2, 2009

Costa Rica! -Guadalupe (city outside of San Jose)

Alas! I am in a bed in Costa Rica, rather cozy I might add. It is a hot, sticky place, but thus far I find it absolutly fascinating. Before I continue let me add that I am still running off of an hour of sleep... Upon boarding the plane in Houston I had the pleasure of sitting next to a couple guys about my age, one from Argentina and one from Costa Rica, Richie and Leo, respectively. Talking with them managed to calm any remaining anxieties I had about my trip, the few beers I had aided in this as well I´m sure. So yada, yada, the plane ride was a party more or less and in the end Leo gave me the number to his cousins, where they will be staying. I may meet up with them after my homestay, let the randomness of travelling begin... Getting off of the plane I was hit with a wall of humidity and pouring rain, that along with the hoarde of people trying to coax me into there cab was a bit overwhelming. Thank god I opted to have the host family pick me up from the airport, although that was pretty overwhelming in itself. The women who met me at the airport spoke no english (hence, total immersion program) and when our ride pulled up it was full of people who also spoke no english. I was assaulted by rapid fire Spanish, that along with the new surroundings, and CRAZY traffic was pretty intense, but at least Ive finally arrived to my destination that I have waited for for so long. The drive to the house from the airport was maybe 20 minutes, but it seemed like time stood still as I watched the motorcycles weave in and out of traffic, the swarms of people standing inside and outside the bars, and the plethora of signs in a foreign tongue that I could and couldnt translate. I was taken back to my trip with Torin through the hispanic areas of Los Angeles for a moment before quickly realizing this was in no way like the city of angels. Liz and I were dropped off, bidding a buenos noches and hasta manana to the currently nameless passengers and entered through a tall locked gate surrounded by more metal and cement. Upon entering the house I was rather suprised, due to my impressions of Guadalupe itself, to find a lovely and immaculately cared for living space. I had a limited conversation with Liz in spanish, although I managed to recall a lot more vocabulary then I expected, and went off to my own bedroom, with my own keys, my own bed, thinking I am going to like this here Costa Rica.

No comments:

Post a Comment