Thursday, October 29, 2009

Storm Chasing (Manuel Antonio)

So I mentioned something about surfing last time, when in fact there was no surfing only falling. Its much harder then it looks, I got up once and proceeded to fall over... Oh well, next time.

Yesterday a couple gringos came in, Andy and Dan, a couple ER doctors from Philly, yes they do enjoy the show Its Always Sunny in Philidelphia. They were nice guys, we sat around drinking whiskey for awhile and all headed down to the ocean for a night swim. The rain was pretty intense, but it was warm so we didnt care, there was lightning and thunder to the point of blinding and deafening us and it was amazing. We got back and some of the girls started attacking us with towels. A bigger polish girl got Dan in a headlock as he screamed I am doctor you cant do this to me. It was a riot... I guess you had to be there. They had to take off today, but we might see them Saturday in San Jose for Halloween.

Yesterday in the late afternoon I stumbled upon a trail near our hostel and ran back to my room to gear up. With about an hour of sun left I headed in not knowing what I would find. It was a fairly touristy trail, with a guide rope and cinder block stairs at some points, which was actually a good thing as the hill was very steep and the terrain very slippery. I walked up and up and up for what seemed a very long time, the humidity makes hiking quite the challenge. At one point during my climb I heard a loud sound from some animal that made me question if I should actually be in the jungle by myself, but after hearing it repeated in response to the first sound around me in various pitches and patterns that it was just some monkeys claiming their territory. I finally got to the top and found a bench overlooking rolling jungle and sat and ¨meditated¨for awhile. I am really happy to have had that chance to clear my head, I realized that it has been awhile since I have been completely alone which is not commonplace for me. Back home I spend a fair amount of time with solely my thoughts for company and I love it. Dont get me wrong these new friends of mine are great, but some time a man has to be alone. So anyways I think I will go pack a lunch in an hour and go hike back up to my viewpoint.

I think tomorrow is it for Manuel Antonio, sadly. I might be headed up north to Jaco for some sort of halloween shindig, who knows... I am finding out more and more that Costa Rica is a Twilight Zone of sorts, time ceases to exist and nothing is quite what it seems or what you would expect. Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are finding yourself. Too bad we cant find you........

    ReplyDelete