Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Southbound

Okay folks, so a bit of change. Unfortunately, as was to be expected, I am of zero use to the peoople of Haiti at this point. They are still having trouble even getting the medical teams and search and rescue groups from what I understand. I will keep pursuing this though and will join the rebuilding effort as soon as I can. After my last post, and after I had realized that I was not going to be called to Haiti, I retreated to the jungle for some much needed centering. I sought refuge in paradise, a ecological farm project in the hills of Isla Ometepe called Zopilote. There I met a plethora of amazing people and basked in the glory of just being free. I spent five days there in total and intended to stay more but I was informed that there is currently a Rainbow Gathering being held in Panama. No not that kind of rainbow, it's a giant international peace festival, just wikipedia it. Anyhow, yesterday morning I took off from the island with one of my new friends Ryan and spent the following thirteen hours travelling to Costa Rica, at one point standing on a bus for three hours, ouch! We arrived in San Jose last night at ten and crashed not much later. I take off in the morning southbound and I am really excited, I will be meeting up with some of my friends from the island, unfortunately Ryan has to head back to the states tomorrow and I will be on my own for the six hour journey. I will be arriving to the gathering sometime on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning, depending on how late it is when I get into Panama and then I will be cut off from the world in the middle of another jungle for the next few weeks or so. After that I think I will go volunteer for a couple weeks at another farm in the middle of yet another jungle and then its back home for me, crazy thought eh? I miss my friends and family so that'll be good, but I am going to work my butt off this summer and come back next winter for an indefinate period of time, first spending a couple months in Haiti and then down to Guatemala and Nicaragua for some volunteer/teaching and such. That's the plan anyhow, but who knows... the wind is a powerful force and before you know it you are blown onto a whole another path completely.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment