Saturday, January 2, 2010

Serious Horsepower (San Rafael, Costa Rica)

From a Journal Entry 12-30-09 11:30PM

Today was a fairly eventful one, it started out rough due to my headache and naseua. I had gone out to the bar last night (don't know if I've mentioned the bar across the street from the farm that blares karoake during the weekends) and the beautiful bartender bought me a couple free shots and a tico bought me a third, so I had three more drinks then I should have, leaving me a bit worse for wear today. I did my morning chores and walked up to the house across the river to do the chores up there. I walked into the kitchen/living room (which is all outside) to find literally thousands of ants swarming the place, the walls and floor were all moving it seemed, a very strange scene to walk in on. After being bit a few times, when they climbed on and then into my boots, I decided to go out front and lay in the hammock and wait for the plague to pass. I dozed off and when I came to all but a few platoons of army ants remained, so I was able to finish my duties pain free and get out of there. I got back to the farm and was informed that we were going to make a compost pile and I was on poop patrol. I had to go around and collect the dung from the goats, horses, and chickens and bring it to the composting spot and proceeded to layer it with fresh grass trimmings and the kitchen scraps we'd been saving for this sole purpose. Afterwards I resigned to my tree house to take a nap, waking up with enough time to wipe the sleep out of my eyes before running down to begin my evening chores. I ran up to the other house first because I was supposed to collect one of the horses (Mr. Socks) and bring him down for the almost full moon ride we had planned for after dinner. I got up there having been followed by three of the dogs and did what I needed to before getting the horse ready. I heard the dogs chasing chickes and yelled for them to stop, thats when I heard the chicken crying and ran to the top of the hill to see what I'd expected, but didn't want to, see. Smokey the big dumb (but awesome) Weimereiner had a big white chicken by the throat, laying on the ground with it and he didn't seem to know what to do next. I yelled for him to come, but it wasn't until I lifted up a stick to throw at him that he actually listened. He came running up with a big smile and a dozen white feathers sticking out of his mouth. I berrated him, cleaned him up and proceeded to walk down the hill with the horse without further problems. By the time I was back it was dinner time and after eating we got the horses ready for the ride. The moon was spectacular, you could see things clear as day almost and the ride was great... well mostly. Zorba, the horse I was riding, likes to kick horses for no reason sometimes and towards the end of the ride he decided to do just that, kicking Paloma, at which point she retaliated, not being one to take any guff. She turned around and SMACK! Right into my leg, well luckily for me it was into my calf instead of ohhh, I dunno, say my ankle, knee, or shin? If any of those were the case then I would be heading back to the states in a cast tomorrow instead of continuing my adventures elsewhere. Speaking of tomorrow, it's New Years Eve, almost 2010, and I am headed over to a party with the family at a commune of sorts, owned by a guy named Joshua who is actually from Portland himself. His place is supposed to be pretty incredible, in the middle of the jungle and it's complete with a swimming pool and dancefloor. His wife is a belly dancer and is inviting her local belly dancing students, so maybe I should brush up on my Spanish skills *wink wink* On New Years day we are headed to another party which will be a big field game/pool party; lawn darts,, soccer, washers, etc. and they are awarding prizes and such. Finally I will head back here, spend my final night, head out the following morning and off to my next adventure. What's going to happen? Who knows, that's why it's called an adventure and not a vacation. Pura Vida.

No comments:

Post a Comment